Could a few examples of how to construct license searches be posted? For example; How can I construct a search that will identify installations of Office 2004, as opposed to installations of just M'soft Word?
You can access this information through the License & Audits section of the Inventory.
Create a new License & Audit search and search on "Installed Applications".
Search on "microsoft"
You will then get back a number of matching results. Search through the results for the matches that you need, i.e. any Office related data, and check off the results that you are primarily interested in. Save the results. The search will now always show you the latest numbers for those saved matches.
NOTE: clicking on the name of the matching software will then create a Software & Hardware search that will show the individual computers the software is installed on.
Hm. Okay - that last bit about 'Clicking on the name of the software will create a search' is a help. But - our copies of M'Soft office don't show up as "Installed Applications". If I search for "Applications" and "Name Contains" = "Office" I get nearly thirty results, including printers and other things. The closest thing seems to be an application named "Remove Office" - but it breaks it into every little point-version (so, separate entries for 11.2.3 and 11.2.4 and 11.3.2 and so on). Is there a way to get all copies of version 11, because that's what the license refers to?
Here's another example of my just not understanding how this is intended to work.
We've got 35 licenses for VMWare Fusion v1. When I do the search, I get five results depending on the various point versions. They are all version 1. Suppose I spread the 35 among the different results; and then three people do updates?
(I'd post a screen shot - but apparently I'm in noob-mode today - I can't figure out how to get the image in there.)
The best thing is probably to construct a computer search for the software criteria, to get a count of all the computers that have this software installed. To do this, we'll need to create a new computer search. This can be done by clicking the magnifying glass icon next to computer searches in the header area:
Next, choose Software, and Applications:
Then search first against the path field, for "microsoft office 2004". Enclose it in double quotes as shown below in the image, this tells the search to only match paths that have that exact string in them. Then add another parameter by clicking the + button and set the field to version. Enter in 11 as shown in the image. This should give an accurate count of all the computers that have a copy of Office 2004 (version 11) installed.
1) I don't see any way to reference that search in the License Audit portion of the program. Do I have to manually keep that count?
2) Is there a way to include a "Not" term? Some of these computers still have the old Office "Test Drive" (path is /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004 Test Drive) software. Can I tell it to search by "Microsoft Office 2004" but not "Test Drive"?
Okay - so that didn't work. I've now created and saved a search that basically crashes the server. What's more, I can't select the search to delete it.
Here's what I did. I selected the Office search that was created in the Computers section per this topic discussion. Then I went into Licenses and Audits, clicked [Create License & Audit Search], Selected "Applications" (since Office doesn't show up in the "Installed Applications"list), Clicked [Create compound search], and set the search field to "Name" "Contains Not" "Test Drive". I then saved it and ran it.
Running the search pegs the processors on the server and it no longer responds to web requests, or even attempts to connect via Remote Desktop. I have to go to the console if I want to do anything. This lasts for something like an hour. The server will eventually come back, but usually my session has timed out before then, so I can't do anything with the results, and since I can't select the search without executing it, I can't even delete it.