During our leveling process as I have gone out to several schools, I'm finding a lot of schools aren't aware of the feature in Configurator that allows you to set the name of the device on the lock screen.
1. Open Apple Configurator
2. Connect your Bretford Cart USB cable to the Sync Station
3. Click on Apple Configurator Menu
4. Click on Preferences
5. Click on the Lock Screen button on the top menu bar
6. Click the radio button that states "Device or user name"
7. Click the X on the top left to close
8. Under the Supervise tab click refresh
FileWave can set a lock screen message but you can only include the enrollment user name in the lock message and not the device name. In the FileWave Profile Editor go to iOS 9.3+ > Lock Screen Message on the left. Attached is a screenshot from the User Guide of the variables that can be used in config profiles. Note that %full_name% is one of them (assuming the device was LDAP enrolled or assigned an LDAP user after enrollment) but there is no inventory-related variable for device name.