We've recently upgraded to 11.1, and I've deployed the client upgrade to the fleet.
Many of them have reported back into the client that they have the latest Client Version. A lot haven't.
I checked one of the test units and the client was 11.1, but it was still reported in the Server as 9.xx.xx ( not sure exactly.
I deleted the client in the Server list. Uninstalled the client off the test machine and re-installed it.
The client is now listed in the server, but is not showing any device information....
Client Version not reporting correctly back to Ser
26 Oct 2016 20:13 #2400
If you are still having issues with this, your best bet would be to contact FileWave Support. We will either request some logs from you or setup a time for a remote session to take a closer look at your Clients. This will provide us the information we need to help resolve the issue.