FileWave Alliance

The Official Community Forum

TOPIC: Shutdown Apple application upon start

Shutdown Apple application upon start 23 Mar 2015 15:43 #1709

  • Gilbert Palau
  • Gilbert Palau's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • ._______.
  • Posts: 108
  • Karma: 10
  • Thank you received: 26

bjorn.pettersen wrote: We do block it with FW but workarounds are shared among the students. A new infrastructure with a lot better FW + + are on its way but it will take some 3y to implement it all. Thats why we where looking at a scripts that kills the torrent apps even if they are on a disk-img. :)


The ports we block on our Firewall for Bit Torrent and Bit Torrent Sync are:

TCP Port 6881 through TCP Port 6999 ; Block Bit Torrent
UDP Port 8086 ; Block Bit Torrent Sync
UDP Port 9999 ; Block Bit Torrent Sync
UDP Port 3000 ; Block Bit Torrent Sync

BitTorrent client normally associates the TCP port number 6881. However, if this port is busy for some reason, the client will instead try successively higher ports (6882, 6883, and so on up to a limit of 6999).

The other way we are blocking Bit Torrent with FileWave is by creating a Parental Rule to block access to all the mayor Bit Torrent Trackets.

I might be able to whip something more intrusive in the next couple of days as someone
else wanted help blocking that as well. I'll add this to my to-do list.


PS. FileWave: These Forums software is incredibly clunky... I had to write the forum post on a text editor to publish because neither of my browsers would render the reply box.
--
Gilbert Palau
Desktop Engineering
FileWave Admin
Dallas, TX
enterpriseosx.com

Shutdown Apple application upon start 12 Apr 2015 20:57 #1736

  • Charlie Black
  • Charlie Black's Avatar
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 2
  • Thank you received: 0
Just what I was looking for. When I associate this with one test user mac it works great. However I get a "script execution failure" when associated with a large group. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Shutdown Apple application upon start 13 Apr 2015 17:27 #1737

  • Gilbert Palau
  • Gilbert Palau's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • ._______.
  • Posts: 108
  • Karma: 10
  • Thank you received: 26

ceblack wrote: Just what I was looking for. When I associate this with one test user mac it works great. However I get a "script execution failure" when associated with a large group. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.


Can you explain in detail how you are doing this?
--
Gilbert Palau
Desktop Engineering
FileWave Admin
Dallas, TX
enterpriseosx.com

Shutdown Apple application upon start 13 Apr 2015 17:39 #1738

  • Charlie Black
  • Charlie Black's Avatar
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 2
  • Thank you received: 0
I have taken the fileset and deleted the part for facetime (we don't want that stopped). I setup a test mac and associated the fileset with that mac. When it downloaded the files and ran the result in the status field shows "Active" in the client info for that mac. I then associated the fileset with a larger group of macs ( a high school with about 1000 users). I updated the model and the machines started receiving the fileset as they got on a network. Once they downloaded the fileset, instead of the status displaying "Active" it displays "Script execution failure". Since this has been done I have gone to several student macs and found that the script did run and the program shuts down after a few seconds. Not sure why the "Script executionn failure" when the script appears to be working.

Shutdown Apple application upon start 13 Apr 2015 18:32 #1739

  • Gilbert Palau
  • Gilbert Palau's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • ._______.
  • Posts: 108
  • Karma: 10
  • Thank you received: 26

ceblack wrote: I have taken the fileset and deleted the part for facetime (we don't want that stopped). I setup a test mac and associated the fileset with that mac. When it downloaded the files and ran the result in the status field shows "Active" in the client info for that mac. I then associated the fileset with a larger group of macs ( a high school with about 1000 users). I updated the model and the machines started receiving the fileset as they got on a network. Once they downloaded the fileset, instead of the status displaying "Active" it displays "Script execution failure". Since this has been done I have gone to several student macs and found that the script did run and the program shuts down after a few seconds. Not sure why the "Script executionn failure" when the script appears to be working.


Could you zip and email me the fileset so I can take a closer look at it? You can send it to me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., that seems to be more of a script error than anything else.

Thanks!
--
Gilbert Palau
Desktop Engineering
FileWave Admin
Dallas, TX
enterpriseosx.com

Shutdown Apple application upon start 13 Apr 2015 18:50 #1740

  • Michael Giardina
  • Michael Giardina's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • Posts: 5
  • Thank you received: 1
One thing to keep in mind on the fileset is you are trying to load a daemon plist from the script. Part of the fileset copies the daemon plist file to the right location and then the script essentially starts it. I get that error message and essentially it is due to a permissions issue when the script runs and tries to initially start the plist file. I have found a reboot of the device cures it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie Black

Shutdown Apple application upon start 13 Apr 2015 19:46 #1741

  • Gilbert Palau
  • Gilbert Palau's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • ._______.
  • Posts: 108
  • Karma: 10
  • Thank you received: 26
Got the FileSet, will test and let you know...
--
Gilbert Palau
Desktop Engineering
FileWave Admin
Dallas, TX
enterpriseosx.com

Shutdown Apple application upon start 15 Apr 2015 11:25 #1743

  • Bjorn.Pettersen
  • Bjorn.Pettersen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • Posts: 18
  • Thank you received: 0
Thx unimis for looking into this. :)
Had been nice to fix the "script execution failure" txt.
The script does work and it kills the torrent apps here, ALSO when the student is at home. ;)
Since you got one on mail Ill wait and see if you need a copy of our script also.

Again, thx :D

Shutdown Apple application upon start 15 Apr 2015 16:02 #1744

  • Gilbert Palau
  • Gilbert Palau's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • ._______.
  • Posts: 108
  • Karma: 10
  • Thank you received: 26
If you want send it to me either way, I can compare and build something better...
--
Gilbert Palau
Desktop Engineering
FileWave Admin
Dallas, TX
enterpriseosx.com

Shutdown Apple application upon start 16 Apr 2015 05:59 #1745

  • Bjorn.Pettersen
  • Bjorn.Pettersen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • Posts: 18
  • Thank you received: 0

unimis wrote: If you want send it to me either way, I can compare and build something better...


On its way. :)

From the client LOG:
2015-04-16 12:39:27.641|-|INFO|CLIENT|Done processing Fileset Container ID 6643621
2015-04-16 12:39:27.641|-|INFO|CLIENT|about to downloadAllFileset files for fileset Kill Torrent application in 5 sec - 160415 ID: 6643621
2015-04-16 12:39:27.677|-|INFO|CLIENT|Downloading Fileset: Kill Torrent application in 5 sec - 160415 ID: 6643621 from 192.168.0.18
2015-04-16 12:39:27.735|--|INFO|CLIENT|finished downloadFileset files for fileset Kill Torrent application in 5 sec - 160415 ID: 6643621
2015-04-16 12:39:27.757|---|INFO|CLIENT|Create all folders of fileset ID Kill Torrent application in 5 sec - 160415 ID: 6643621, version 6
2015-04-16 12:39:27.775|--|INFO|CLIENT|Activate all files of Kill Torrent application in 5 sec - 160415 ID: 6643621, version 6
2015-04-16 12:39:27.794|--|INFO|CLIENT|Done activating all 3 files of fileset ID Kill Torrent application in 5 sec - 160415 ID: 6643621, version 6
2015-04-16 12:39:28.787|--|INFO|CLIENT|Executed Detached (async): /usr/local/etc/install.killrestricted.sh at working path: /usr/local/etc/
Last Edit: by Bjorn.Pettersen.

Shutdown Apple application upon start 16 Jan 2017 20:06 #2436

  • Chris Carlock
  • Chris Carlock's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 1st level - White Belt
  • 1st level - White Belt
  • Posts: 1
  • Thank you received: 0

unimis wrote:

Michael.Giardina wrote: I have been running a script that essentially kills an app every 3 minutes if it is running. I would like to find a better way to do this as I am starting to have a number of apps I want to shutdown like this. For example, our school system doesn't want students to use Skype, but they can download it onto a thumbdrive and run it from that. My script can query the processes and shutdown the process if it sees it, but only every 3 minutes.

Any suggestions?


You could build a profile management restriction and block Skype for example. That is how we block Minecraft on the Enterprise...


Would you be able to elaborate on this at all? Would find this very helpful.

Shutdown Apple application upon start 17 Jan 2017 17:28 #2438

  • Gilbert Palau
  • Gilbert Palau's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • 2nd Level - Yellow Belt
  • ._______.
  • Posts: 108
  • Karma: 10
  • Thank you received: 26

ccarlock12 wrote:

unimis wrote:

Michael.Giardina wrote: I have been running a script that essentially kills an app every 3 minutes if it is running. I would like to find a better way to do this as I am starting to have a number of apps I want to shutdown like this. For example, our school system doesn't want students to use Skype, but they can download it onto a thumbdrive and run it from that. My script can query the processes and shutdown the process if it sees it, but only every 3 minutes.

Any suggestions?


You could build a profile management restriction and block Skype for example. That is how we block Minecraft on the Enterprise...


Would you be able to elaborate on this at all? Would find this very helpful.


The only way I was able to was to create a service that monitors for these processes and shuts them down as they pop up.
--
Gilbert Palau
Desktop Engineering
FileWave Admin
Dallas, TX
enterpriseosx.com